Crispy Capsicum Vadas
This crispy vada is our family favorite. Vadas are nothing but South Indian style fritters. They are mostly made of different varieties of dal. This particular vada recipe has a unique taste coming from the fresh green bell peppers & peanuts. The combination of both these with gram dal might seem odd, but believe me, they taste too good (even if this requires just a handful of ingredients) ! So here goes…
Crispy dal and capsicum fritters!
Write a review
- 1.5 cups bengal gram, split (chana dal)
- 2-3 fresh green chillies ( or more of course if you want it spicy )
- a pinch of asafoetida/ hing (optional)
- salt to taste
- 2 medium capsicum
- 1/4 cup peanuts/ groundnuts
- oil to deep fry
- Wash the dal & soak for an hour or so. Drain & then grind it in a mixer coarsely along with salt, chillies, hing without adding water. You need to get a thick paste/ batter here. Do not grind to a fine paste. You need to retain some bits of the dal to get crispy vadas
- Finely chop the capsicum into tiny bits. Roast the groundnuts & cool a bit & grind to a almost fine powder. You can leave it slightly coarse.
- Transfer the thick batter into a mixing bowl & add the capsicum, powdered groundnuts. Adjust the salt.
- Take a small portion of the batter & flatten a bit & deep fry in hot oil over medium flame till golden brown. You can fry 5-6 vadas at a time depending on the size of you frying pan. Drain on absorbent paper & serve hot!
- This vada/ fritter is perfect as an evening snack or as accompaniment to rice meals!
Prathi Ruchi Recipes http://prathiruchi.com/recipes/